ACRL-LA Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 26, 2017, 06:40:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Forum is primarily for voting.
Click here to return to ACRLLA.ORG
263 Posts in 62 Topics by 102 Members
Latest Member: Eric
Home Help Search Login Register
ACRL-LA Forum  |  Old forums  |  New Acquisitions  |  Topic: README: Getting Started
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: README: Getting Started  (Read 5230 times)
niemla
Webmaster
Administrator
Colonel

Welcome to the board!

View Profile Email
« on: October 22, 2008, 11:35:59 AM »

README.txt

Online bulletin boards were around even before the WWW, but the concept has changed over time and not everyone will be familiar. Here's what you need to know to get started:

0. Who is in charge, here?
This forum is hosted on ACRL-LA's website, and is administered by its Administrators (Admin) and moderators (Mod) (there is only one Admin for now). These are the people who manage the forum. They can delete, move, and edit posts to keep the forum readable. They can also discipline problem users so that they do not bother other users.

1. Who may register?
  • Anyone! You don't have to be a member of ACRL-LA or ACRL national. You don't need a library degree. You don't have to live in Louisiana. You don't even have to be working in a library! You do have to like talking about them, though.
  • The forum is meant for Academic Libraries, specifically those in Louisiana (for now), so conversation will get rather boring if you don't want to talk about that too.
  • You do not have to reveal your identity to forum users if you don't want to
  • However, only confirmed ACRL-LA members may have access to the secret "Members' Private Parlor" forum, hence its name. Entry can be granted by the Admin.

2. How do I register?
  • Click "register" in the top right-hand corner
  • Use an email address of your choice
  • Choose a username.
  • Enter a secure password you will remember (and don't forget it)
  • Agree to our terms of use

3. How do I find posts?
  • The forums have been divided into subjects. (How appropriate for librarians  ;) ) Click on a Forum name to read the lists of posts, then click on the one that interests you.
  • A topic is a group of posts with one subject. These are sometimes called "threads."
  • Do use the "Search" option in the top bar to find something specific
  • (If a given subject gets enough attention, the Admin. can create boards)

4. How do I post?
  • To reply to a post, click "reply" at the top of the thread.
  • To reply to a particular post, click "quote" next to that post to quote it. You can edit the size of the quote, too.
  • On the right hand side of the screen (not on the main page) there are some buttons that say "New Topic" and "Post new poll"
  • Creating a new topic is a bit like emailing. You need a subject and text.
  • You can use the buttons at the top of text box where you are posting to format it. The markup will appear in brackets, but not in your post.
  • It looks a bit like a Word Processor. Hold your cursor over a button if you don't know what it means.
  • Posting a poll is like posting a topic, but you can write poll questions also. Only forum members can vote.

4b. How do I post well?
That's rather simple. The Golden Rule. Also:
  • Make posts that are in some way relevant to the topic or other posts in the topic. If it has nothing to do with it, start a new topic. (An admin. or Moderator may do this for you if necesary)
  • It is better to post in an existing thread than to start a new one
  • Edit your post instead of making a new post right after if you need to change something.
  • If creating a new topic, give it a subject that describes what it is about.

4c. What should I know before posting a new thread?
  • Has this been said or asked before? Click 'search' on the top bar to find older topics that may already have the information you need or could add to.
  • Make sure you're posting in the correct forum.
  • If you have a question, provide enough information for others to help you (but not too much)

5. Can I talk to just a few people privately?
  • Click "My Messages" to send and relieve Messages on the Forum.
  • Click "New Message" to send one to the member(s) of your choice.
  • Only those you specify will get the message.

6. How do I get an avatar (picture), Signature, and change my profile?
  • Your profile information other see when they click your name and view your profile.
  • Click on "Profile" on the top bar. This will give you various forum options.
  • "Forum Profile Information" Will allow you to change your profile information.
  • You can choose an existing avatar, or upload your own. It will be resized automatically.
  • There is also a box here for a signature. Max. 300 characters
  • Unlike email, changing your signature is retroactive, so your old posts will have the new one.

7. How do I change my password or email, or hide my email address?
  • Click on "Profile" on the top bar, then "Account Related Settings" on the left.
  • You can change your account options here, and decide to hide your email address or not allow others to know when you are logged in.

8. What if I don't want to come here all the time?
  • The forum can email you if you when a new post or topic is made.
  • When you're viewing a topic or entire board you'd liked to be notified about, click "notify" in the lower right hand corner.
  • To specify to how you'd like to be notified, click "Notifications and Email" on the "profile" page, then click the check boxes

9. I think this place is ugly! Can I make it look different?
  • Under "Profile," go to "Look and Layout Preferences" and then "Current Theme" on the right.
  • Click "change" to select a different theme. There are several to choose from.
  • The default is "SoftWhite."

10. I have more questions!
  • Post your question in this thread so we all can learn :)
  • Or contact the Admin:
http://www.acrlla.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=1
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 11:34:58 AM by niemla » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
ACRL-LA Forum  |  Old forums  |  New Acquisitions  |  Topic: README: Getting Started « previous next »